Saturday, 9 November 2013

Literate!

Hello folks!
I hope you didn't take my last post too seriously, because I really don't live in any place quite as nice as those!

Woof!

Anyhoo, I have a really exciting announcement to make.

I, Pippa of Pippa Sheltie, am literate of the English language! (only able to read though)

You must be thinking "how can this even be?", but I mean it!
I mean, I can blog in Cat and Dog, but obviously English can be a bit tricky.

Not that long ago, we watched a programme on the BBC called The Wonder Of Dogs, and there was a part with three dogs that they'd tried to teach to read. One was a sheltie, and it was the only one out of the two who could do it right!

So, I thought okay, maybe I can do this.

Today, Eve set about teaching me to read.


Woof, so we used the words SIT and DOWN.

At first, we took baby steps. Eve read the words to me and I did what she told me.

But soon, I was able to recognise what the word meant, so she didn't need to read them to me.

Here are videos of me doing SIT and DOWN. Down is a little bit more difficult, but you'll see...


Oh goodness, I'm sorry about that little bit at the end!

I can assure you that in those videos, Eve did NOT read the word to me at all. The speaking in the background was the rugby on the telly, in which Scotland won against Japan. (Hip hip hoorah!)

I was finding this brilliantly fun.

We took a wee break, because it was hard work,
 and I had a romp around in the leaves.
Eve decided that I should try doing them one after the other.

I was pretty nervous, because say I'd forgotten what to do already? We'd been doing SIT for a wee bit longer, what if I couldn't remember what DOWN was?


Eve was so proud that I hadn't forgotten what to do. I got a heap of tummy tickles and everything!
Learning to read was brilliant, so we're going to carry on trying. I'd like to try and do it quicker now.

So, this week I have a challenge for everydoggy or catty in Blogville.
I'd like YOU to get your people to teach you to read like we did, and let me know how you get on!

Good luck!

Cheerio,
Pippa :) wuf wuf

P.S.
I'll be wearing my poppy and doing my silence for Remembrance Sunday tomorrow!

18 comments:

  1. Great job! Will read for treats. I think I could teach my pups 'NAP', because that is all they ever do anyway :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pippa firstly love you poppy pic. We must try and find time to give this a go. Wow you are a smart cookie. Bravo to you. Have a super Saturday.
    Best wishes Molly

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Pippa
    Oh girlfriend not only are you gorgeous you are smart too. I love your post very creative!
    Hugs madi your bfff

    ReplyDelete
  4. My Dog, you are a canine genius Pippa! You should be on the telly with reading skills like that, we are very impressed.
    Dip Bridge and Elliot x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pippa you are a natural, well done, I don't think I can read as I cannot see that well, I would need glasses I think, now thats an idea,mmmmm
    Love your poppy pic too. Lady Vicki.

    ReplyDelete
  6. OMD Pippa you can READ.... READ REAL WORDS... THAT is totally BRILLIANT we say.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, you can really read! Maybe you will be a professor and teach other doggies!

    Your Pals,

    Murphy & Stanley

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh Pippa, you are one smart cookie gurl!!!! Now, I'm with Murphy, you should open your own English as a Second Language school for doggies!!! BOL
    I thinks I'm gonna get Ma to get me to try that! At least there will be treaties to eat, right?! hehehe
    Kisses,
    Ruby ♥

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hari Om
    OMD I am soooooo impresssssseeeeddd!!! Keep it up my gal. Hugs and wags YAM-aunty xxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Bawahwhhahahaw we watched that, Humom wrote out words and showed them too me.Nah..didn't work..BOL I did get a load of treats xxxooxxx

    Mollie and Alfie

    ReplyDelete
  11. WOW, we are very impressed with your reading ability. Lady thinks she may teach us that! It she isn't too lazy, she will and we will tell you how it went! Lee and Phod

    ReplyDelete
  12. Pippa, that is most impressive. You have no idea how long it took Gail to teach me 'down'…. (I picked up 'sit' in a nano-second though).

    So I am now looking forward to these reading classes. It would be most useful not to have to rely on an assistant for reading my favourite blog posts (of which yours is one, of course).

    Come on Gail, where are the treats?

    Toodle pip!
    Bertie.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You are a reader dog for sure. No wonder down took longer it was a four letter word.
    Thanks for being a friend
    Sweet William The Scot

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you for visitng me and all the love you give- and all the prayers, thank you for being a friend.
    love
    tweedles

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great Dawg, Pippa....you are BRILLIANT!! Oh dear...I don't think I will be able to read English but maybe I will give it a try.
    *Cairn cuddles*
    Oz

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yip, I watched that and was so proud the Sheltie was the only one getting it correct! Well done you, how clever are you High paws!

    ReplyDelete
  17. You are a very smart girl, Pippa!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh my gosh, that's awesome! You are the smartest dog I know :) I've never seen another dog do something like that. Sounds like a good challenge.

    ReplyDelete

Go on, give me a woof!